Suwon-si, Gyeonggi-do, from the latter days of Joseon Period (1392-1910). The fortress began construction in 1794 and finished in 1796. it was built to show the Kings filial piety toward his father Jangheonseja, and also to build a new city with its own economic power.
The fortress wall is 5.52km long and it has a great variety of military facilities you cannot find at other fortress. At the top of the fortress wall, Yeojang was stacked up to nd watch the enemy. There are four gates in each direction, the north gate called Janganmun, the south gate called Paldalmun, the east gate, Changryongmun, and the west gate, Hwaseomun. A stream passes by the fortress, and where the water meets the fortress, they built Sumun gates. There are seven arch-style Sumuns, and above it a pavilion called Hwahongmun.
Hwaseong Fortress was constructed under the advice of Yu Hyeong-Won (1622~1673) and Jeong Yak-Yong (1762~1836), and it is evaluated that its fortress wall was built very scientifically. The fortress wall was built using Seokjae and Jeondol (bricks), and the holes, through which you can be defended from arrows and long spears, were also used to fire guns.
Jeong Yak-Yong invented Geojunggi, which uses a hwalcha (lever) to lift up heavy stones, and it greatly reduced the construction time.
Suwonhwaseong went through many turbulent times and damage, and in The june 25 Battle, many of the facilities became so damaged that they were just left that way. The fortress restoration initiative started in 1975, and finished in 1979. But from Paldalmun to Dongnamgakru, a space of 491 meters, has still not been renovated. The fortress became designated as Historical Monument No. 3, in January 1963, and in December 1997, it was designated on UNESCOs World Cultural Heritage Site.
Across Suwon Subway Station (Subway Line 1) exit 1, take city bus No. 60, 77-1, 92-1, 660, 700, 700-2 bound for Janganmun or Jangan Park and get off at Janganmun (10-15 min ride).
Taxi takes 10 min from Suwon Subway Station to Janganmun